Offices in Americus, GA and Columbus, GA

Search
Close this search box.

Talbot County

Learn more about this RVRC County below:

County
Map

Links &
Resources

County
Data

Planning
Documents

About

Talbot County became Georgia’s 73rd county by Act on December 14, 1827, from Muscogee County. Originally it included part of Taylor County. It was named for Matthew Talbot (1767-1827), a member of the legislature and a member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of Georgia. He was president of the United States Senate and Governor in 1819 after the death of Governor Rabun until the election of Governor Clark.

First officers of Talbot County, commissioned February 9, 1828, were Abraham Laurence, Sheriff; Samuel C. Leach, Clerk of Superior Court; William S. Goss, Clerk of Inferior Court; Benjamin Loyd, Surveyor; Hubbard Brown, Coroner.

Today Talbot County consists of the towns of Geneva, Junction City, Woodland, and the county seat Talbotton.