Crisp County was created in 1905 from territory formerly belonging to Dooly County. It was named for Charles Frederick Crisp, a jurist and Speaker of the U. S. House of Representatives between 1891 and 1893.
Cordele, the county seat, was a “child of the railroad” having built up at a junction of Savannah, Americus, and Montgomery Railroads. It was named for the daughter of the railroad’s president.
Crisp County became the first county in the nation to own and operate its own electrical power plant. It was started in 1930 with Lake Blackshear on the Flint River providing its power source.
Communities in Crisp County include Arabi, Coney, and Cordele. The City of Arabi is the County Seat.
Links & Resources
Click the buttons below to visit or expand.
- Historic Preservation
- Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores DRI #2974
- Georgia Top Choice Peanuts, LLC DRI #2514
- Helena Industries, Inc., Warehouse “E” DRI #2515
- Recycle USA, Inc./U.S. Ethanol, LLC DRI #1484
- Pinehurst Estates Subdivision DRI #1179
- Lake Blackshear Plantation DRI #920
- Lake Blackshear Plantation DRI #894