BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN
The River Valley Regional Commission, through its contract with the Georgia Department of Transportation, is working in planning, developing, and executing the necessary activities in order to encourage safe walking and cycling through our communities as a means of alternative transportation and a perfect way to get active.
The River Valley Regional Commission will be working on the following projects:
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety and Education Campaign - For this year, RVRC Bicycle-Pedestrian, along with its Columbus and Americus Planning Advisory Committees, will be executing the following events as part of our SHARE THE ROAD and STATE ROUTES initiative:
- September 26, 2020: Plains, Trains and Bike Chains, Sumter County, GA.
- October 17, 2020: Fair on the Square, Lumpkin, GA.
- May 1, 2021: Prison to Peanuts Bicycle Adventure, Sumter County, GA.
- May 2021: Columbus and Americus - Bike to work Day and Ride with the Mayor.
For more information on our initiatives visit
- Annual Bike to Work Day, Columbus, GA and a Annual Bike to Work Day in Americus, GA - this event focuses on encouraging citizens to make the shift from their vehicles and into their bicycles as an alternative means to commuting to work. The River Valley Regional Commission has partnered with the local businesses which reward employees who commute to work, in Columbus and Americus, using non-motorized transportation with the exception or car-pools and public transportation. Bike to Work Day will take place on a Friday of May during National Bike Week. For more information visit www.activevalley.org
- RVRC Staff will continue to serve as technical advisors to the following organization's Board of Directors:
- Bicycle Columbus
- Sumter Cycling
- Reynolds Ramblers
- RVRC will continue to assist communities in researching and applying for funding opportunities to develop bicycle and pedestrian initiatives including off-road bicycle trails, mountain bike trails, walking trails, cycling paths, infrastructure improvements, etc.
- RVRC Planning Staff has been assisting the City of Americus and Sumter Cycling on the Connecting Americus Project. For more information about the project check out the Connecting Americus website. To view the final plan from ALTA, click here!