Unified Government of Webster County

Webster County was created in 1853 from part of Stewart County. Georgia's 103rd county originally had an Indian name, Kinchafoonee, for a creek that crosses the county. After outsiders made fun of the name, the county's citizens petitioned to change it to honor Daniel Webster.

The first Confederate flag to fly in Georgia was raised on the Webster County Courthouse lawn in 1861. At the end of the war, Union troops cut down and destroyed the flagpole.

For a short period during World War II, the belvedere atop the courthouse was used to watch for any enemy aircraft that might be headed toward nearby Fort Benning.

Webster County Courthouse

Click on picture for
Georgia Snapshot

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________
ChattahoocheeCrispClayDoolyHarrisMuscogeeMacon Marion
QuitmanRandolphSchley StewartSumterTalbotTaylorWebster

Send email with questions or comments about this web site. 
Copyright © 2009 River Valley Regional Commission. Last modified: 08/07/13.