Talbot County

Talbot County became Georgia's 73rd county by Act on December 14, 1827, from Muscogee County. Originally it included part of Taylor County. It was named for Matthew Talbot (1767-1827), a member of the legislature and a member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of Georgia. He was president of the United States Senate and Governor in 1819 after the death of Governor Rabun until the election of Governor Clark.

First officers of Talbot County, commissioned February 9, 1828, were Abraham Laurence, Sheriff; Samuel C. Leach, Clerk of Superior Court; William S. Goss, Clerk of Inferior Court; Benjamin Loyd, Surveyor; Hubbard Brown, Coroner.

Today Talbot County consists of the towns of Geneva, Junction City, Woodland, and the county seat Talbotton.

Talbot County Courthouse

Click on picture for
Georgia Snapshot

Talbot County Atlas Map
This map is a DRAFT and is not intended for distribution

_________________________________________________________________________________
Talbot County Comprehensive Plan
Short Term Work Program

 

Development of Regional Impact (DRI)
DRI 2018 Oconee Concrete Plant:
Environmental 

_________________________________________________________________________________
ChattahoocheeCrispClayDoolyHarrisMuscogeeMacon Marion
QuitmanRandolphSchley StewartSumterTalbotTaylorWebster

Send email with questions or comments about this web site. 
Copyright © 2009 River Valley Regional Commission. Last modified: 08/07/13.