Schley County

Schley County was created in 1857 from parts of Marion and Sumter counties. Georgia's 122nd county was named for Georgia Governor William Schley. The name of the county is pronounced "sly."

Built in 1899, the county courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places. The clock tower, once known as the "Leaning Tower of Ellaville," was straightened and reinforced in 1991.

The City of Ellaville was named for Ella Burton, the daughter of the man who sold the land for the town site.

Schley County Courthouse

Click on picture for
Georgia Snapshot

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________
ChattahoocheeCrispClayDoolyHarrisMuscogeeMacon Marion
QuitmanRandolphSchley StewartSumterTalbotTaylorWebster

Send email with questions or comments about this web site. 
Copyright 2009 River Valley Regional Commission. Last modified: 08/07/13.