Randolph County

Randolph County contains about 800 square miles.

It was established by an act of Congress on December 20, 1828, from Lee County. It was named for John Randolph (1773 - 1833), a Senator and Representative from Virginia for many years.

Randolph County included all of Stewart and Quitman counties and parts of Terrell and Clay counties. Cuthbert was established and made the county seat in 1831. It was incorporated into a town in 1834. Indians were in this area until 1836 when they were driven out after the Creek Rebellion.

Randolph County is rich in old homes, some dating back as far as 1837. There are roughly 34 homes built in the 1800s within the city limits of Cuthbert. The present courthouse was built in 1885. The original was a log fort building. By the late 1850s, Cuthbert was recognized as the educational center of Georgia because of the two women's colleges in the area, Andrew College, a Methodist College, and the Baptist Female College of Southwest Georgia, and a male academy. Andrew College is the second oldest in the U.S. and in 1956 became co-ed.

Railroads came to the area in the 1850s and it became a thriving agricultural center. Now, Randolph County focuses on industry, which prospers from its excellent transportation facilities. Also, because of its abundant water supply and mostly mild weather, agriculture flourishes.

Randolph County Courthouse

Click on picture for
Georgia Snapshot

Randolph County Road and Drainage Improvement Plan

_________________________________________________________________________________

Randolph County Comprehensive Plan

_________________________________________________________________________________
ChattahoocheeCrispClayDoolyHarrisMuscogeeMacon Marion
QuitmanRandolphSchley StewartSumterTalbotTaylorWebster

Send email with questions or comments about this web site. 
Copyright © 2009 River Valley Regional Commission. Last modified: 08/07/13. .