Clay County

Clay County was created from parts of Early and Randolph counties in 1854.  It was named for Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky.  There are two incorporated municipalities within the county:  Fort Gaines, the county seat, and Bluffton.

Fort Gaines grew up around a fort on the Chattahoochee River established to protect settlers during the Creek Indian Wars.  The town, named for the fort's builder, General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, became a shipping point for cotton planters for many miles on both sides of the Chattahoochee River.  It remained a key market until about 1858, when railroads replaced river freight.

Clay County Courthouse
Clay County Official Website

Clay County Solid Waste Management Plan 2007
DRAFT

Click on picture for
Georgia Snapshot

_________________________________________________________________________________

Clay County Cemeteries Map
View Map
If you see any changes or additions to the cemetery locations that need to be made, please contact Jean Turn at the

Clay County Library, (229)-768-2248

 Clay County's Comprehensive Plan:
 Clay County Community Assessment
Clay County Community Involvement
 Clay County's Comprehensive Plan:
Comprehensive Plan Map Information:

Clay County
 
Existing Land Use, Character Area Map,

Future Development Map, Future Land Use Map

City of Fort Gaines
 
Exiting Land Use, Character Area Map,

Future Development Map, Future Land Use Map

City of Bluffton
Character Area Map, Future Development,

Future Land Use Map

For questions or comments regarding the Comprehensive Plan, please email Allison Slocum

 

Clay County Pre-Disaster Mitigation Plan

Clay County and Cities
Pre-Disaster Mitigation Plan 2006


_________________________________________________________________________________
ChattahoocheeCrispClayDoolyHarrisMuscogeeMacon Marion
QuitmanRandolphSchley StewartSumterTalbotTaylorWebster

Send email with questions or comments about this web site. 
Copyright © 2009 River Valley Regional Commission. Last modified: 08/07/13.